Industry experts set to select winning entries from increasingly competitive field of entries
Digital Book World, a division of F+W Media, announced today the names of the expert judges charged with selecting the winners of the 2014 Digital Book Awards, to be announced at a live awards banquet during the Company’s Digital Book World Conference & Expo in New York City in January. Founded in 2010, the Digital Book Awards (formerly known as the Publishing Innovation Awards), recognizes innovation, creativity and excellence in all aspects of digital book publishing. The deadline for nominations is October 1st.
“We are thrilled to bring this level of talent to the program,” said Gary Lynch, Group Publisher, Digital Book World. “Entrants can be assured a critical assessment of their work, and that our winning entries will represent the very best of what’s being created, today.”
Led by Anne Kostick, Principal at Foxpath IND and Program Director for The Digital Book Awards, the panel includes:
- Michael Cairns, COO, online division, Publishing Technology
- Andrea Colvin, Vice President, Content/Executive Producer, Book Division, Andrews McMeel Publishing
- Peter Costanzo, Creative Director, NBC Publishing
- Colleen Cunningham, eBook Developer, F+W Media
- Christina Biamonte Faubert, Content Account Manager, eBooks Sony ReaderStore
- Kelly Leonard, Digital Marketing Strategist
- Ami Greko, Book Marketing Strategist, Goodreads
- Matthew LeBlanc, Director of Digital Workflow-eBooks, F+W Media
- Nathan Maharaj, Director, Merchandising, Kobo
- Ron Martinez, Founder and CEO, Aerbook, Invention Arts
- Tom McCluskey, Operations Director, Digital Bindery
- Bill McCoy, Executive Director, IDPF
- Matt Mullin, Manager, Digital Content, Barnes & Noble/NOOK
- Alison Norrington, CCO/Founder, storycentralDIGITAL
- Carolyn Pittis, Managing Director, Welman Digital Media LLC
- Liz Scheier, Senior Product Manager at Brilliance Audio
- Joshua Tallent, Chief Ebook Architect, Firebrand Technologies
- Ira Wolfman, President, POE Communications
Award-winning graphic designer and illustrator Ronson Slagle, Art Director for PRINT Magazine, will name a Best Cover Design, a new award category for this year, from among the entries.
Each year, award winners and finalists demonstrate fresh thinking, inspired design and bold technology integration, pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in this constantly evolving publishing arena. The program encompasses all forms of digital publishing that are available to consumers as ebooks, enhanced digital books and apps, in order to showcase and reward the work of authors, developers and publishers. Winners will receive a full, three-day Digital Book World Conference + Expo registration. Winners and finalists will receive entry to the awards banquet, promotion via the Digital Book World website, and inclusion in media coverage.
The Digital Book Awards offers 16 categories in three main divisions — Ebook Flowable, Ebook Fixed Format/Enhanced, and Apps — plus separate categories for Transmedia projects and for works created with Inkling Habitat. All entrants to the Digital Book Awards are automatically entered into the QED process, a rigorous 13-point inspection conducted by a network of experienced ebook developers to ensure that all entries meet select criteria. Qualified entries earn the QED Seal of Approval.
Stacie Berger, Vice President, Communications